Does your or your partner’s snoring keep you awake? This may affect not only your sleep but also your health. Snoring can indicate several health issues, such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and diabetes. It is vital to get snore guards to stop snoring at its root cause.
What Are Snore Guards?
Snore guards are dental devices put on your teeth to keep them from touching your lower jaw during sleep. This prevents the vibration of the soft tissue in the throat and airway, thus stopping snoring. They are very similar to mouth guards used by athletes to protect their teeth and gums while they train.
What Are the Benefits of Using Snore Guards?
- Snore guards help prevent damage to the tissues in your throat and soft palate.
- They provide relief if you are bothered by sleep apnea, which brings about difficult breathing during the night.
- They help the muscles in your throat relax, making it easier for you to breathe during sleep.
- They reduce the possibility of having a stroke or heart attack due to interrupted sleep.
- The use of snore guards improves your overall health and well-being.
- They don’t interfere with the natural movement of your tongue or jaw during sleep.
What Is the Procedure for Snore Guards?
Our dentist will examine your mouth and evaluate your condition when you come for your appointment. We will take impressions of your teeth and mouth using digital scans to send to a dental laboratory to fabricate the snore guard. It will be made from a flexible material such as plastic or acrylic that is capable of conforming to the shape of your mouth.
How Should You Care For Your Snore Guard?
It is essential to take good care of your snore guard so that it lasts for a long time and doesn’t get spoiled quickly. You may soak the snore guard in a glass of warm water for five minutes before putting it on before going to bed. This helps keep it from cracking or breaking easily when you put it on or remove it from your mouth in the morning. The adhesive can be renewed using a new piece of wax if required, but ensure that you don’t use hot water for this purpose as this may melt the plastic material of the guard.
Snoreguard in Frankfort, KY And Louisville, KY
Signature Smiles is located in Louisville, KY, and Designing Smiles is located in Frankfort, KY. Call us at (502) 326-1800 or (502) 226-1900 and schedule an appointment to learn more about our dental services.